Saturday, November 3, 2007

my near death experience...well, one of 'em.

ever had one of those? this one cracks me up whenever i think of it. let me give you a little background first. i've had a love affair with food since i was very young. round has been my prevailing shape most of my life. and comfort foods, love love love them. stuff like mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, any kind of potatoes. let's hear it for mac and cheese and don't even get me started on desserts. i haven't met one i didn't like.

well, to get on with the story, way back in grade school, probably about 5th or 6th grade, i was having a hankering for some peanut butter. yummy chunky peanut butter. i didn't seem to want to bother with spreading it on a piece of bread. i grabbed a tablespoon (yea, tha big one) out of the silverware drawer and preceded to scoop out a heaping spoonful from the jar. (this next part makes me think of the blueberry girl on willie wonka) i opened my mouth wide and scraped the whole heaping teaspoon of peanut butter into my mouth. i began to swirl it around with my tongue enjoying the texture, the saltiness, the peanutiness, enjoying every nuance of my peanut butter experience and then i tried to swallow. suddenly i realized that i could not swallow and i could not breath. within a millisecond panic began to set in. i couldn't make a sound, at least not with my mouth and i began to think, oh my gosh, i'm going to die! i'm going to die choking on peanut butter!!! how embarrassing. i felt the effects of oxygen deprivation and i knew if i didn't do something soon, i was going to pass out and the end would soon follow. suddenly, and i know this was inspired, i thought jelly! you need some jelly! grab the jar of jelly!!! so i flung open the door to the fridge, grabbed the jelly jar and scooped out a tablespoon of jelly to rival that of the peanut butter lodged in my throat. i scraped it off into my mouth and began to swirl it quite excitedly with my tongue and continued to try and force it down my throat (kinda like liquid plumber behind a clog in the drain). to my great relief, within about five seconds, that clump of peanut butter slid on down to my stomach thanks to the help of the jelly. i remember thinking, "i'm gonna live! i'm gonna live! thank you Lord!"

that's just another one of those experiences that build my testimony that the Lord loves me and watches over me and that the Holy Ghost is real cause that was pure inspiration there.

11 comments:

Steve and Jamie said...

Stinkin' hilarious! I can't believe you thought to use jelly. Thanks for sharing--you made me laugh.

Papa D said...

"Stinkin' hilarious!" I like that; I'll have to use it sometime.

I think it was punishment for violating your temple by ingesting something nasty like peanut butter.

It is amazing how the Holy Ghost works. I think all of us will be amazed when we are able to look back and realize how much influence there was in our lives that we simply never realized.

Patty said...

Hmmm... sounds like a lawsuit to me... no warning label about ingesting in large spoonfuls... that's shameful of the peanut butter company to be so irresponsible!! *grin*
I'm so glad you lived through it!! Thanks for the laugh!

Dory said...

How scary, and yet beautiful...death by peanut butter, saved by jelly. The only thing it's missing is chocolate!

Leslie said...

I can't stop laughing! I'm sorry you almost died, but I'm so glad that you were inspired to use the life-saving jelly!!

ANTSYLLI said...

I wish I could think of something as witty and funny as what was written by previous readers, but I can't. Suffice it to say that I am rolling on the floor laughing while simultaneously experiencing extreme gratitude that your life was spared by a simple spoonful of jelly...Just another example of how by small and simple things, great things shall come to pass.

Mama D said...

I laughed so hard reading this and the comments! Not sure I would have thought of using jelly to help the peanut butter slide down your throat. Glad the Spirit prompted you to do so.

You should post about some of your other near-death experiences, like the one in the car. (Oh, wait, wasn't there more than one in a car?!) :]

Louann and Bari said...

I love how the Holy Ghost speaks to us in ways we understand. He didn't give you a hard complicated solution, he gave one to you that made PERFECT sense.
Thanks for sharing- and yes---please share more !!!!!
Love you bunches (Glad Your Still Here !!!)

heather said...

That was so funny. I had no idea peanut butter could be so harmful. I think I will have to move it up with my cleaners in the childproof section of my kitchen. While I'm at it I guess I should put some jelly in my first aid kit too.

chelle said...

HAHAHAHAHAAa glad your still around to tell the story. I would of rather choked on PB than to eat jelly when I was a kid! I can tolerate jelly a bit better now though.

Patty said...

Where are you again Carrie?? Leave myspace behind and join us in the blogging world again!! Hee hee!!